Sunday 22 August 2010

Sue Spargo Day 2

We had our second day of the Sue Spargo workshop today and it finished off a wonderful friendly weekend. 

Today we learnt lots of interesting stitches and different ways to use them.  The beauty of it is, that there is no right and wrong way to do things, just play and see what effects you can create.

I must say I don’t have much to show for  the day, but I will be able to play at my own leisure, with no pressure and no one seeing when I make mistakes.  I will sit down with my embroidery books and see what I can come up with.

August 2010 041

I started adding beads to my poisonous mushrooms.  Still a few more to go.

August 2010 045

I tried doing some Palestrina Knots, but I’m not happy with the results, so I’ll pull them out and have a bit of a practice on a scrap before having another go, as they give a lovely effect.

August 2010 054

Fly stitch is a wonderfully effective stitch with lots of applications.  I love the effect around this leaf.  I still have to decide what to do next on it.  I had to include an apple (although this looks more like a cherry) as Mum grew up on an orchard.

 August 2010 049

I think I might be finished this leaf, but then again, I may add something more to it.  I have used scroll stitch around the edge with a really fine cord thread.  I love the effect it has created.  Up the middle is more fly stitch with some beads as well.

August 2010 047

Here I have started with a beaded edge.  I don’t know what I’ll do next. 

August 2010 055

I think half the fun is thinking about what to do where, and just letting it evolve. I’m not going to rush to finish this wall hanging.  It will be a project I can pick up every now and then and play a bit more with.  It will be a good one to take to our patchwork group.

It was great fun seeing what effects the other ladies had come up with.  Each piece is truly unique.

Us locals were well and truly outnumbered on the weekend.  There were several from Sydney, some from the southern highlands, one lady from Inverell and two ladies even came over from Perth.

We had a lovely group on our table.

Marg and Liz from Perth

August 2010 033

Dawn and Teri-Ann

August 2010 035

Susan, Cheryl and Beth

August 2010 037

And, of course, Sue was our great tutor.

August 2010 039

I think everyone was a bit sad the weekend was over, but we all have a lovely little memento.  Everyone was given a little bird from the table centres. Mine even matches my autumn tree.

August 2010 053

Thanks so much Sue, and thanks to Anni and all the team at The Home Patch for organising such a great weekend. 

5 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Looks like a really fun creative time...your embroidery looks great! Can't wait to see what else you do!

BubzRugz said...

You had a great workshop - I love the work you have done on your tree so far and the colours you have used..... great detail.... Hugz

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Wow Janice - that is coming along so well!! What an amazing weekend you had!! Can't wait to see it finished...it will be gorgeous. :-)

Kylie said...

Hi Janice, just love your tree! I can't believe you were there too! I was down the back beavering away on my needle roll and now its finished I love it!! I found your blog through Jodie at Jellywares here in Cobar. It is surely a small world. I must get on and post my pics. Come on over and have a look ;)

Stina Blomgren said...

Oh Janice.. I am soooo envy of you having this class.. I so would love to have this oppurtunity once in my life.. who knows .. I might ... but ohh.. I love love this!!!! Long till you show more pictures..:O)))