Tuesday 3 August 2010

Tuesday Treasures

When I was looking for photos of Golly the other week I came across a very special one. It was taken in 1984 on my brand new 35mm camera.  I was sitting on the floor reading the manual and fiddling with the settings and pretending to take photos (you couldn’t waste film then – thank goodness for digitals). 

Because I was just fiddling, Mum and Dad were not paying any attention to me and I was able to take this photo of ordinariness (is that a word?). Unlike most of our family photos, it is not posed and looks so natural, Dad watching the TV and Mum working on something. 

In this case, it was a yo-yo bedspread from whatever cotton scraps she had. When finished, it lived on their bed on top of the navy blue chenille bedspread.  It was never backed, so the navy showed through.  I don’t know what has become of it now, it is probably stored in the linen press.

Mum & Dad June 84

Fast forward twenty six years and not a lot has changed.  The lounge suite has been replaced and the furniture rearranged, but of an evening Mum will be sitting working on something.  At the moment she is knitting little swagmen as well as embroidering a band to go on a tea towel and crocheting the edge of the tea towel. She is still an active member of the local community craft shop and is making things for it all the time. This was taken not long before Dad discovered the joy of spinning, so now he is often sitting at his wheel in front of the TV.

So what is the treasure?  Having crafting of all sorts as a natural part of everyday life. I am so grateful that Mum introduced me to many crafts from when I was quite little, as she had been and her mother before.  Not only that, there are still items in existence from all three of us that were made when we were little.  I think I will share next time.  I’ll have to go and take some photos over at Mum’s.

13 comments:

BubzRugz said...

That is lovely and the picture holds a memory you will treasure for ever....as you say it is so natural and to me shows such contentment ..... I love the story with it.. Hugz
Fiona

CurlyPops said...

Oh wow, now that really is a treasure. I love unposed photos so much more than posed ones, and it's just so lovely that you managed to snap your mum being crafty.

Unknown said...

That brings a tear to my eyes it is just so sweet and is truly a lovely treasure . Thanks so much for playing .

Teresa said...

Your photo is wonderful and I love the story behind it. I have a yo yo quilt my husband bought for me from an antique dealer a few years back and I just love it. Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your post.

Sue said...

Gorgeous peaceful picture and how lucky are you to have two crafty parents to inspire you.

nicole said...

that's the sweetest thing ever.
xox

Liz said...

that is a lovely treasure. This is what family is all about. Being content with one another. Sounds like you had a wonderful family upbringing. Looking forward to more family pics.

Shontelle said...

I love photos like this - there very ordinariness makes them very poignant.

marina said...

Thanks for sharing the 'ordinariness' of your family. Little snapshots that tell so much.

Sheila said...

I really enjoyed reading the story behind the picture , maybe because it could have been at my house when I was young , and today when I go home the scene is very similar . I am also thankful for the fact my Mom and Dad passed on their love of working with their hands .Thanks so much for sharing .

martine said...

What a nice picture and a wonderful quilt.
Once I have seen a yo-yo quilt in a museum in England.
I think they are rare.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love REAL pictures. It looks like your Mum was making a yo yo quilt. I had to giggle when I saw the yellow floral chairs.... do you know that my daughter found one with fabric almost like that at a vintage shop and fell in love with it. It is now in her bedroom. I get such a kick out of the vintage things she likes.

GardenOfDaisies said...

OH, and I'd love to see some of your English green glass sometime. I hope you will share some pictures.