Tuesday 15 November 2011

Sunday’s Travels

On Sunday I left Coonabarabran and drove to Dunedoo before stopping for breakfast.  I’m just not a fan of motel breakfasts and nothing was open in Coonabarabran in the morning.

I was so pleased that it worked out this way or I wouldn’t have enjoyed the White Rose Cafe.

November 2011 084

As you get closers you start to see the cafe’s heritage.  Lovely original painted windows.

November 2011 083

Once you enter you are greeted by this wonderful original decor.  I just love the polished aluminium counter with the red laminex top.

November 2011 075

Check out the chequered floor in the red and pink.

November 2011 074

And there are even the old marble topped tables.  Wouldn’t they be the best for making pastry on.

November 2011 078

To top it all off they make a terrific egg and bacon roll and skim mocha, which really hit the spot.

It all reminded me a bit of Peters Cafe in Bingara that we visited recently.

As I continued on my merry way I saw a sign pointing to the Gulgong Swap Meet.  Never one to miss such an opportunity to compare other swap meets to ours, I followed the signs.  I’m rather glad that I did.  The fact that I may just find some treasure was of course in the back of my mind.

It was a surprisingly big swap meet for the size of the town and really well set out. 

November 2011 091

There were all sorts of things for sale, as well as a show and shine for motorcycles and cars.

November 2011 092

November 2011 096

The old engine group also had a display.

November 2011 093

Yes, of course I found some treasures.  I saw an idea recently of storing all your electrical gadget chargers in a large biscuit barrel, so have been on the lookout for a large canister to store ours in, as they are so hard to keep tidy.  This aluminium one will fit the bill perfectly.  It just needs a bit of spit and polish.

November 2011 006

I don’t buy much green glass anymore, but succumbed when I saw this gorgeous oval platter.  It glows under the black light and will be American, going on the elaborate design.

The frosted bowl is actually from a second hand shop in the little town where Mum and Dad are.  I loved the deco lines.

The oblong plate caught my eye, being that lovely 30’s cream and green that suits my kitchen so well.  It is “Gracelite” hotel ware for Grace Bros Sydney, although made in England.  I couldn’t leave it there. 

And, of course there is always room for a few more old bakelite buckles.

November 2011 001

I was still home in time for a late lunch.

So, all in all, a very enjoyable day’s travels.

3 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

it's great stooping at the white rose.........gorgeous cafe..........gotta love red laminex........I have the grey....love the tin you found........

Anita said...

What a cool cafe!!! Glad you are home safe & sound.

Anonymous said...

Any improvement in this old house of mine is huge. I love the color of the formica countertops. Taking a cue from that long scratch on the original ones, I’m extremely careful not to do anything to damage them, but they are pretty durable.