Tuesday 31 January 2012

It’s the End of the Month

Here it is the last day of the month and no finish for OPAM.  It’s not that I haven’t been sewing, just no finishes to show.

Well, we can’t have that, so when I got home from work I thought I’d better make something little so the sidebar isn’t empty…..but what?

Then I thought of “Pink Phone”. 

I have a rather uneasy relationship with mobile phones….ie… I am completely hopeless with them.  I forget to charge them, and when I finally do, I proceed to leave them in the car. I have no idea how to  send or read a text and can only call someone if their number is written down in my little black book. When I went to Queensland when Dad was sick I was caught out in a tiny town and no digital cover, only Next G.  As I was intending to drive Dad home, freshly out of hospital I had to buy a better phone and ended up with “Pink Phone”. 

January 2012 014

There is very little choice in a tiny Queensland town and the salespeople don’t know how they work.  I couldn’t get any help off the web, as my computer wouldn’t work there either.  So I ended up not being very good friends with this phone, except for the fact that I was able to change the back cover to a pink one.

We are gradually getting to know one another and I’m doing my best to keep her charged and in my bag so it would be nice if I made her a little cover.

Jenny has put out a bit of a challenge for repurposing.  I supposed I could do something along those lines.  A while ago I found some more linen clothes in an op shop and they have been languishing in the cupboard.  I bought this blouse thinking it would team with white for a French look.

January 2012 005

I might do something one day to incorporate the lovely pin tucks, but not tonight.

January 2012 007

I then went rummaging through some fabrics and came up with this combination.

January 2012 009

Then it was just have a bit of a fiddle.  I used the same principle that I’d used to make a tissue cover a couple of years ago.  I used the thin iron on pellon, as I didn’t want it to be too bulky.  I’m rather pleased with the outcome.

January 2012 012

The linen wriggled a bit and was probably a bit light weight, but the pellon stabilised it nicely.  The pearl button is just one I found in among my collection of button jars and the hat elastic came from a swing tag.

January 2012 016

“Pink Phone” fits in nice and snug.  Now I just have to learn how to use her.

I think I might make a few more accessories for my hand bag using this fabric combination.

So now, at 11pm on 31 January I can add something to my sidebar for OPAM.  Yay!

7 comments:

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Love the colour combo with the linen! :-)
Those pin tucks look like a fun thing to play with too... ;-)
Hugs
Jenny
xx

Chookyblue...... said...

love the pouch.......can't wait to see what else you make..........

Fiona said...

love the phone pouch... I did laugh at your stories though.... it always ends up you learn these things out of necessity....
Hugz

Sandi said...

A beautiful phone pouch, lovely choice of colours.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love the phone cover....great use of fabrics...

loulee said...

Very nice. I can't claim a single finish. I have a UFO baby cardigan with it's collar half on! That was to be my one finish, but a big knife got in the way of that!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Pink Phone being so neglected :) I will give poor pink phone some attention at Nundle for you :) Love the case and some combination accessories will look lovely :) xx