Wednesday 28 March 2018

Completed Project for March


At the beginning of the month I selected some hexy place mats as my monthly finishing goal.

I ummed and ahhed and then did what any girl can do and changed my mind.  I was still going to finish this project, but I decided to change it slightly.  You see, I thought they would be too pretty for utilitarian place mats, so decided to make a table runner instead.


The length was determined by the width of the background fabric and, fortunately, I happened to have some red French General fabric in stash to use as the binding.  The backing was a red and cream stripe that was also in stash.  


Free motion quilting is not something that I have mastered, so I simply stitched in the ditch at the edges of the hexy panels.  The straight line quilting is spaced at the edge of the walking foot.  An easy guide to use.  

I must say I'm rather pleased with how it has turned out.  Much better than a pile of bits and pieces in a plastic sleeve.


I'm linking with Elm Street Quilts and am also checking in with Peg and Kris for One Project a Month.  Thanks ladies for the inspiration.  


Next month will be quite busy, so I have to think of an achievable project and hopefully continue to complete a UFO each month.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janice I love your new table mat it looks fantastic,well done on your beautiful finish xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

So pretty! Looks wonderful Janice x

Oddbjørg said...

Lovely table mats!

Patty said...

It looks lovely! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Gail said...

Very nice! I really must make some table runners for myself!
Keep on finishing up those projects!

loulee said...

Very nice my friend, very nice indeed.

Chookyblue...... said...

oh it's lovely Janice...better bring for show and tell........much better idea as a runner then place mats........

Jenny said...

Looks great Janice, it's always so nice to have a finish. I have never tried hexagon although they seem very addictive and very popular.

Fiona said...

I love it.... just perfect as a runner and not mats to spill gravy on! Straight line quilting is underrated - I think it's so effective...
Hugz

Jenny said...

Its a lovely table mat Janis. Love the colours

Susan said...

Love your runner...the straight lines are very effective.

Anthea said...

Looks wonderful Janice... and the quilting looks great too!

Maria said...

Janice the hexies have made a beautiful table runner. Looks great with the bowl of wee Easter eggs..

Have a safe and happy Easter..

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

love it.....hope you had a fab Easter...not many sleeps xxx

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Perfect finish for the hexies. :-)
We're off for three days soon ans two days will be driving so I'm thinking of making hexies in the car this time instead of embroidering. Going through all my fabric scraps this week and separating into colours.