Sunday 19 June 2016

More Orange Finishes

I have been busy making some more items to go with the coasters I made a couple of weeks ago.

Firstly, I made this little tray.


It is a hybrid of a few tutorials that I had seen.  I started with two nine inch squares, ironing on some fine interfacing to the lining.  Then I used some scraps of very thick iron on interfacing, almost like felt, and cut a base five inches square and the sides five by two and a half inches and ironed them onto the orange fabric.  This is where I stuffed up made life difficult for myself, by only allowing a partial side opening for turning it out.  I ended up having one whole side open before I could effectively turn it right side out.  I will know for next time.  A quick over and over stitch on the top of the corners and job done.

The purpose of the tray......


To hold my coasters.

The next project was some place mats.  Nice and simple.  Let the fabric do the talking.

I wanted the finished size to be 18 inches by 12 inches, so cut the orange 12 1/2 " x 6 1/2".  Then I cut the charcoal 1 1/2" wide by 12 1/2" long.  The only problem was that the charcoal fabric was longer than my orange. Huh?  I'd cut the orange with my 12 1/2 " x 6 1/2" ruler.   Doh!  Second stuff up.  My ruler is actually only 12" long.  There's a trap for young players.  No worries.  Just trim back the charcoal and keep going.  Thank goodness it wasn't a pattern where the finished dimensions mattered.

I'm rather pleased with how they turned out.


I didn't want a puffy look, so was able to use some thin bamboo batting scraps I had in a box and I didn't bind them, but rather turned them through and top stitched the edges before quilting.


A simple ditch stitch in the seams and then a diamond cross hatch in the centre.  All rather simple and just the look I was after.

There is still one more piece to make in this set, then I'll show where they are going.

Firstly, I have to design make something up for the table runner.  I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow ... You have been busy 💖

Anonymous said...

Hi Janice wow I love these place mats,they are very elegant and the box to sit your coasters in what a great idea,well done my friend on your beautiful finishes :)

Chookyblue...... said...

Looking good.....

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a fun tray and coasters!! and placemats too!

loulee said...

What a cute set. You have some nice wee finishes lately.

Jenny said...

You will have the best dressed table in town! When shall we come for dinner?

Susan said...

They're great Janice, so nice to be able to make something pretty and practical.

Maria said...

What a gorgeous table set of coasters with a neat tray and lovely place mats too..

Katie said...

Nice! That fabric certainly does talk. :-)